Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Zen of Unicode

I attended David Goodger's Unicode talk at PyCon earlier this year and I thought I'm well on my way to Unicode enlightenment. It turns out I still need to chop a lot of wood, carry a lot of water before I attain this particular Zen...In the hope that other people will find it useful, here's a mini-tutorial on Unicode in the form of an email message from David, who responded in excruciating detail to some Unicode-related questions I sent him. I tried to copy and paste the text into the Blogger editor, only to get all sorts of markup-related errors, so I just put it on a Trac wiki. Hopefully David will soon publish his Unicode tutorial on the Web. Until then, happy Unicode hacking!

1 comment:

Florian said...

Now consider this:

- You send utf-8 encoded links to a browser.
- User clicks on a link
- What do you get back in the request url on your webserver?

I'l enlighten you:
- In general the url gets urlquoted, so you have to urlunquote.
- IE will return you the url in the encoding you send it
- Mozilla/Firefox will send you latin-1 if there's no non latin-1 characters in your link. It will send you utf-8 however if there are...

X.x

Modifying EC2 security groups via AWS Lambda functions

One task that comes up again and again is adding, removing or updating source CIDR blocks in various security groups in an EC2 infrastructur...