Monday, March 18, 2013

Installing ruby 2.0 on Ubuntu 12.04

I wanted to find a way to install ruby 2.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 via Chef, without going the rvm route, which is harder to automate. After several tries, I finally found a list of .deb packages which are necessary and sufficient as pre-requisites. Writing it down here for my future reference, and maybe it will prove useful to others out there.

I downloaded most of these packages from packages.ubuntu.com (if you google their names you'll find them), then I installed them via 'dpkg -i'. Here they are:


libffi5_3.0.9-1_amd64.deb
libssl0.9.8_0.9.8o-7ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb
zlib1g-dev_1.2.3.4.dfsg-3ubuntu4_amd64.deb

The actual ruby .deb package was built with fpm by my colleague Jeff Roberts courtesy of this blog post.




No comments:

Modifying EC2 security groups via AWS Lambda functions

One task that comes up again and again is adding, removing or updating source CIDR blocks in various security groups in an EC2 infrastructur...